Have A Bowl Of Lentils - It's The Perfect Season


Legumes, as dry beans are called, are a wonderful staple during this time of year. They are an incredible source of protein.  lentils, with 26% of their calories coming from protein, make them the 3rd highest level of protein by weight of any plant based food source. Lentils originated most likely from the Near East. It is a major food item in vegetarian cultures such as the Indian Sub Continent. With vegetarian in mind, I have come up with a perfect recipe for lentils that I believe is lip smacking for all you meat eaters as well. This recipe is very easy to prepare and execute. Here are the ingredients you'll need:

2 cups of French lentils (they're more round and stay firmer than flat traditional ones)
1/2 cup of long grain wild rice
4 cans of vegetable stock
1 med red onion, chopped
1 med yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced (that means chopping them into tiny tiny pieces)
2 med carrots sliced lengthwise and then chopped
6 med white or dark mushrooms, cut in halves and then sliced
2 med ripe tomato, chopped, seeds and all
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Dijon style mustard
1 tbsp tomato paste (I buy a tube and store it in the fridge and use it when I need a little)
1/4 cup of olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

As always, get all the vegetables prepped and other ingredients together. In a pot, add 1/2 of the olive oil and heat over medium. Add the onions, garlic, and carrots, and saute, stirring frequently. Continue to saute until onions are translucent and just beginning to brown at the edges, usually a few minutes. Now add your mushrooms and tomatoes and stir well. Add the lentils, stir, and saute for a minute. Next, add the rice and stir well for another minute. Now, add the vegetable stock, bring to a boil, then add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Stir well so that all ingredients are well incorporated into the vegetable stock. Decrease heat to low, cover, and slow cook for 1 hour. Stir occasionally during the hour.

After an hour, add salt and pepper to taste and add the parsley. Cover and continue to cook for 15 more minutes. Your lentils and the rice should be ready now. Taste for doneness and if desired, you may slow cook for an additional 15 minutes, but I don't think it'll be necessary. Before serving, take the rest of the olive oil and stir it into the lentils. Remove from heat and let stand in the pot for about 5 minutes. Serve with a nice loaf of warm potato bread or some slices of old fashion hearth. Finish off in the French fashion with a nice chilled salad of Romaine leaves in a light vinegrette. Bon Appetit !

11 comments:

  1. Lentil stews are my crockpot's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very different take on Lentil Stew from those I've read. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Bet if I snuck some lamb into that pot it would be good for us meat people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a very tasty version of lentil stew, particularly with the added mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! I am saving this for a rainy or snowy day! I love beans, but my hubby does not. I think I have to be more creative! I think I will start with this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lentils are a staple in Spain with chorizo and ham for flavouring... I've got to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am missing out on lentils. Too bad I have a bad reaction to it....
    This looks like a lovely dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adored your split pea soup, so it looks like I am going to have to try this recipe too!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. made it this evening - delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete