Perhaps the best Braised Pork Ribs you'll ever have..


From the beginning, this blog site has stressed the importance of simplicity in the kitchen no matter what you do. With that said, it has also been understood that visual appeal and savory flavor should never be sacrificed in the process. It is the intent of this blog to adhere to those principles and to never let you, the reader, down without exception. Whether the recipes call for 30 minutes time or 3 hours, you will never be asked to accomplish anything that is beyond the scope of your capabilities. The end result is to expand the possibilities of what can be created in the kitchen and as a result, make us all better nonchefs.

What you are about to learn in this next creation takes simplicity, appeal, and flavor into consideration. This is one of my signature dishes, according to those that have enjoyed it in the past. My Braised Pork Spareribs are the most savory and moist ribs you will probably ever taste, providing you follow my directions, which I assume you will. This recipe has always been a hit at the dinner table and the responses I get have been that my ribs are the best anyone has tasted. Before I get carried away, I will stop with the self promotion; however, I think you get the idea.

Let’s start with the ingredients:

3 lbs. of your favorite cut of pork ribs
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
12 cloves of garlic, rough chopped
2 large roasted red peppers sliced in ½ inch widths (or buy a jar of them)
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 ½ cups of chicken stock
1 small can of tomato paste
4 tablespoons of plain BBQ sauce (smoked)
1 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of coarse ground pepper
½ teaspoon of smoked sweet paprika
1 teaspoon of dried basil
½ teaspoon of thyme
1/3 cup of olive oil

As it is always the case, please do all your prep work before you start cooking. By doing this, you won’t forget anything, accidentally overcook something because you were busy chopping, or simply get frazzled. Trust me, I’ve done it the other way and things always go wrong. So do your slicing and chopping now.

Cooking this dish is a two stage cooking process. First, you’re going to sauté and brown the meat, and then you are going to slow cook it in the oven. If you have a large oval shaped Dutch oven, you will want to use that. Otherwise, just get the largest frying pan you have. If you can avoid slicing up the pork rib rack into sections, that would be great. Otherwise, go ahead and cut it in 2 halves and brown each separately. Start by preheating the oven to 350. Next, get your pan of choice and heat ¼ cup of the oil over medium heat. Sprinkle the meat side of the ribs with  some of the pepper, and the regular salt. Sauté your meat for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side until browned. When browned, pour ¼ cup of the chicken stock over the ribs and deglaze the pan or your Dutch oven. If you’re using the Dutch oven, cover with the lid and place it in the oven. If you didn’t have one and used a frying pan, transfer the ribs and the liquid to a large and deep baking pan (lasagna pan works good), cover tightly with foil, and place it in the oven.

While the ribs are in the oven, get a large frying pan and heat the rest of the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the shallots and garlic for about a minute, then add the onion, and continue to sauté until the onions become translucent and begin to brown. Next, add the carrots and stir occasionally. Continue to sauté for a few more minutes and add the remaining chicken stock and the paprika, as well as the basil and thyme. Reduce heat to low and add the tomato paste and bbq sauce and stir well so that everything is well blended together. Taste for flavor and add salt and pepper if needed. Finally, add the sliced roasted red peppers and allow the sauce to begin to bubble. Transfer the sauce to the pot with the ribs, making sure that all the ribs are well covered. Recover pot tightly and continue to bake for 60 minutes at 325. Be very careful to use oven proof mitts or pot holders, as the Dutch oven lid and sides is extremely hot.

When done, remove the pot from the oven and let sit covered for about 5 to 10 minutes. Get your serving platter ready. Remove the ribs first and set on the platter. Since the pork most likely sweat out a lot of oils, to reduce the calories and fat content, you will want to put your sauce through a strainer to get rid of excess oil. Once done, spoon the sauce over the ribs or around the ribs, it’s your choice. Serve with steamed rice or wonderful boiled new potatoes. Sprinkle some chopped parsley over the ribs as garnish. You are going to find that the meat simply falls off the bone, it’s so tender and moist. I will let you discover the incredible flavor for yourself, but as a hint, I had this for dinner Saturday evening and I’m still smacking my lips. Enjoy it to the bone!

18 comments:

  1. Ohhh so yummy looking. How moist and tender the piece look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 5:54 in the morning right now. This would be on my breakfast list if it was here. How did you create this gorgeous color and mouth watery delight wow, you can tell in the picture how tender this is! awesome job Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful colors in this dish! I will be honest - I have never braised pork spare ribs, but I think my family would love these and they are just so appealing for a chilly winter's evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe you that these are the best ever...wanna try now. Pegasus - you always crack me up, cuz I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks amazing. This will be next on my list of YOUR recipes that I am cooking. I just made your Chicken and Pork Marsala last night and OMG....well I will post the rest in my review!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's how I like my ribs...tender and succulent. What an amazing photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. outdoor grilling is my preference, slow and long, basting ever so attentively - that said, these have got to be as good as you say and is a wonderful way. Your sauce sounds really really good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo is definitely inviting! I too prefer outdoor smoking or grilling, but if that's not an option, your version sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ribs are the one dish that my husband actually cooks. He uses the braising method as well and I can vouch that they taste fantastic done that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I've never tried braising my pork spare ribs but after seeing this I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh now! These look faboulous. My mouth is watering just looking at these tasty pork rib morsels.

    Culinarily yours,
    CCR
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, these will be made at my house, too goregous, hubby will be in heaven..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pork--I'm so there. These look amazing. I love braising; it produces such moist, delectable results.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look fantastic - I could do with a slab right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're making me hungry, Nick. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks awesome. I've done pork spare ribs with my own bbq sauce, a hoi sin sauce, and a spice rub, but haven't done it quite like this before. That photo was all it took, I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I finally made this last night and WOW was it good! I served it with a wild brown rice mixture to soak up the delicious sauce with the chunks of carrot and roasted bell peppers, and steamed broccoli. As my husband was licking his fingers he's says, "Well Nick strikes again"....LOL
    We both loved this and hubby wants me to keep this recipe close at hand. Thanks Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete