Pan Fried Rex Sole; so easy, so how can it taste so good?

One of my favorite fish of the sea, Rex Sole is often overlooked in favor of the more popular species of what is considered "flat fish". Don't make this mistake, this flat fish is absolutely delicious and so easy to prepare. If that weren't enough, it's very inexpensive. It's almost always available fresh at your local supermarket. For those of you residing in Europe, you're going to have to look it up online as to what it is called in your country. In the U.S., I simply call it good!

The easiest and and lip smacking way to prepare Rex Sole is to simply dredge it in flour and pan fry it over medium high heat until it is rendered to a golden crisp color. No need for a list of ingredients here, just add salt and pepper, 1/4 cup of olive oil and pan fry away. Finish it off with a lemon wedge at plating.

There is another wonderful thing to remember about Rex Sole (and most other flat fish), very few bones except for the backbone down the center of the fish. When ready to eat, simply take your knife and cut right down the length in the center of the fish and carefully separate the flesh with that knife. Once one side is complete, turn the fish over and repeat the process.

Serve this fish with steamed or boiled baby red potatoes, cut in wedges, and drizzle with a bit of melted butter. Garnish with chopped parsley. Doesn't that sound wonderful? And rather healthy, I might add. Butter isn't that bad for you in moderation. This is the time to moderate. As a finishing touch, serve a chilled plate of frisee lettuce with a lite vinegrette. There you go, I've just planned your dinner menu and I'm sure you won't regret it.

9 comments:

  1. this looks wonderful, cooked to perfection. i'm definitely going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful piece of fish indeed!

    Bon appetite!
    CCR
    =:~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the fish is good, pan-frying is the best way to cook it. I love to cook flat fish coating the fillets in AP flour or chickpea flour, then frying them in olive oil, typical from the south of Spain... wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is 'flat fish' like a skate fish? Pics look lovely. Want to sink my fork into its sole (hahaha puns!) right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PERFECTION - yes, I am shouting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just picked up a rex sole at Lion Supermarket. They'll de-fin and fry your fish no extra charge. $5 and I have lunch! I just hope its okay to eat what appears to be the eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just tripped over my first rex sole at New Seasons in Vancouver, Wa. I actually bought it to cook for my cat who is dying of cancer. I didn't realize the little thing was not boned until I put it in the pan. No salt or seasoning of any kind for the cat but when I realized I had something different than the usual fillet of whitefish I tried a bite myself, completely unadorned. My eyes almost rolled back in my head this was so good! It is inexpensive so the cat can have all he likes but I'm going back for some for myself! Smaller fish that aren't on the hit parade is what we all should be eating anyway to give our oceans a break. I'm working on my taste for sardines and smelt. Delicious a couple of times a year. Not near enough. But this rex sole I can do regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also bought it at New Seasons in Vancouver, WA. Going to try this recipe tonight. So much better for us than red meat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also bought it at New Seasons in Vancouver, WA this past weekend and had it in the freezer. Going to cook it up tonight. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete