Apple Cream Cheese Palmiers


One of the things I don't like to do is throw food away. If you remember the other day when I made my Apple Calvados Cheese Cake, I had some leftover apple slices that I had cooked. I also had an extra package of cream cheese. I decided to come up with a little dessert (great for breakfast) that I thought you might like. This is very simple to make and it utilizes any of the leftovers you had from the cheese cake recipe, should you have chosen to make it - or if you make it in the future. I decided to call this Apple Cream Cheese Palmiers. What an original name, LOL. OK, here are the leftovers I had:

2 cups of cooked apple slices
1 package of cream cheese
2 puff pastry sheets (not really leftover, but it was in the freezer)

...and this is what I added to my ingredients:

1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of flour
1 egg and little water (for egg wash)
3 tablespoons of sugar

This is so easy it's silly. Am I just filling space here? Anyway, in a bowl, add the cream cheese, cream, vanilla, and sugar and mix very well until cream cheese is nice and creamy. Preheat oven to 425.


Sprinkle the flour on a cutting board and lay each of your pastry sheets and carefully roll each one out to about 14 x14 inch squares. Unless your cutting board is freaking humungus, please do each pastry sheet separately. With a spatula, spread half of the cream cheese on each pastry sheet as if you were spackling a wall. See the picture?

Now take half of the apple slices and just spread them out over the pastry sheet. Once you've done that, begin to fold one end over once, then do the opposite end, folding it once over towards the other end. You gettin this? Next, fold the first end again, and the opposite end again. Do this until both folded ends meet in the center. Then just fold one of them over the other, just like a palmier.


Now just take the egg wash with a brush and lightly brush all sides. With a sharp knife, carefully start cutting slices about 1/2 inch wide and place them on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet, just like the picture. Finish by brushing some of the egg wash on the tops of each palmier. Bake in the middle rack at 425 for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before placing on a serving plate. These are delicious and crunchy and I made a pig of myself by eating a half dozen of them on the first day. But that's ok, it was after all, the holiday !

8 comments:

  1. Don't you just love the ease and versatility of palmiers? Your version looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful palmiers for fall. I love cream cheese and puff pastry together -- not exactly low cal, but so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very yummy palmiers! I love the cream cheese filling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour nick this is great to use the leftovers like that : I follow you !
    bravo à toi !!
    pierre

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look so tasty and your pictures turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness I have to make these! I love apple anything , throw the cream cheese in the mix and my little heart skips a beat! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete