Baby Yukons bathed in a sauce of butter and parsley

Delicate and so tender, Baby Yukon Golds have got to be near the top of royalty in the potato family. One of the best ways to prepare and enjoy them is to pick the ones no larger than about an inch in diameter, lightly boil them and toss with a marriage of melted butter, parsley, salt, and pepper. They are so perfect in their simplicity. To kick it up a notch with an entree of fish, simply toss them with finely chopped dill and you've got a winning combination. For this preparation however, we will use parsley since they were paired with a wonderful cut of filet de boeuf. Here's what you will need for this side dish:

20 small Baby Yukon potatoes, unpeeled (5 per serving)
1/4 cup of chopped parsley
2 tablespoons of butter
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a pot of water to boiling, add salt and the unpeeled potatoes. Leaving them unpeeled will keep them from getting water logged. Boil for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes slide off a knife poked into them with a very light jerk of your hand. Immediately remove from the heat and strain them. Cut them in halves and return them to the pot. If you wish, you ma also leave them whole.

Add the butter, salt, and pepper and gently stir until butter has completely melted. Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle a bit more fresh chopped parsley. That's it. Now how simple is that? And wait until you taste these, so velvety and works so well with a nice cut of beef and a side of baby French green beans.

It works as a salad also !

A twist on this recipe involves converting these potatoes into a nice warm potato salad. Simply follow the cooking directions, strain them, and run cool water over them for about 15 seconds. Slice them in halves, add your salt and pepper, and instead of butter, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar. Gently toss and serve as a first course. As a garnish, you may add some freshly crisped sliced bacon. What a wonderful treat this is.

11 comments:

  1. Nick,
    What a great recipe. I love how buttery baby yukons are...they melt in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try the recipe! Looks so yummy and easy to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one baby you definitely don't want to throw out with the bathwater (or the bathwater, either).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the simplicity of this dish. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick, I am a big fan of potatoes cooked in any form. Yours look especially delicious. This is my first visit to your blog. I really like your recipes and will be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been craving potatoes for the past few days and this post just sealed the deal! Thanks! Will definitely make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The potato dish sounds great, but I have to admit that the potato salad instead was an even better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love potatoes this way...they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. can't go wrong with this - one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those little baby yukons ..I have some right now left over from dinner the other night. Almost fixed them today..but didn't I'll have to do these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. This is my favorite way to cook yukons too and I also use parsley or dill (never together though) depending on what we serve them with or what I'm in the mood for. I think the key though to this is really to melt the butter in a separate pot- I've tried tossing it in cut small and the effect is just not the same.

    ReplyDelete